Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tail Slap



Last Friday a fellow REU student and I gathered water samples from Peaked Hill Pond in Thornton. While I was standing on the edge of the pond, preparing to collect my water sample, I was interrupted by a loud CRACK, I looked up and saw a big splash in the water across the pond. I was confused for a second, but then I realized what it was as I spotted the animal in the water. I was apparently intruding on a local beaver. The beaver was swimming in large circles, every few minutes slapping its flat-leathery tail on the water. I waited for at least 15 more minutes, hoping to get a photo of the tail slap, and just after I put my camera away, it did it again. It is a incredibly loud noise, it sounds like a very painful bellyflop.

No comments:

Post a Comment