Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Monroe and Washington


Last weekend the REU crew and I went up Mt Monroe and Washington. I collected samples at Lakes of the Clouds. It was easily one of the most beautiful days we have had this summer.
To the right is shot of the cairns along the Crawford path.








We went up the Ammonoosuc ravine trail, and took the Crawford path to Washington, and the Jewell trail back down. It was great to be in the alpine area despite all the traffic. The summit of Washington is more like a mall than the top of a mountain, it is rather disconcerting.








To the right is a view of the Great Gulf Wilderness, as seen from the Jewell Trail. Spaulding Lake is the small body of water just visible on the bottom of the valley. I am sampling there tomorrow, and spending the night somewhere down there, and then heading up to Star Lake to collect a sample. My twin brother and a couple of friends are going to come along. It should be a fun two day hike.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent landscape shots!! very beautiful, I like the middle on the best. I'm a real sucker for any pictures with water in them :)

    ReplyDelete