Wednesday, July 8, 2009

New Pleasant View Farm Residents!

Welcome to the world!

My peers and I at Pleasant View Farm have been monitoring a robin and her nest for a couple of weeks. It is located on the back porch/fire escape stairwell on the eave of the roof, between two corner beams. The nest appeared there literally overnight and soon after three blue eggs followed, and just yesterday two of the eggs hatched! I tend to use the back stairs frequently, so I have stopped doing this to give the birds some space, since the mother robin always flies off whenever people get close to the stairs. Hopefully the babies will grow up and live long and healthy lives.

I did some research and learned (http://www.learner.org/jnorth/search/RobinNotes2.html) that of the robins that survive their first year, they usually live to about 5 or 6, with the oldest known at about 13 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment