Monday, July 14, 2014

East Pond

The following day Kermit and I went up the East Pond Trail to East Pond. The trail is off Tripoli Rd, near the Sandwich Wilderness/Waterville Valley area of the Whites. As part of my undergrad research project with the Hubbard Brook REU, I sampled this pond back in June 2009. Steve Smith of the Mountain Wanderer, has a great blog post about the history of East Pond, which at one point was mined for diatomaceous earth.

The water was chilly and refreshing, perfect for swimming, despite the leeches

East Pond has a beautiful bluish-green tinge

We explored and relaxed by the shoreline for a few hours

The East Pond outlet stream

Kermit really enjoyed hanging out by the pond

One of the plants I've missed seeing, hobble bush!

I asked someone to take a photo of me, they only took one, and I blinked! Too bad, because otherwise it's a nice photo of us. 
Kermit waited very patiently as I photographed the East Pond outlet stream in different exposures.

Patiently waiting

Trees and moss growing over large glacial boulders is a common site in New England

No comments:

Post a Comment