Monday, March 7, 2011

Ice Forest

During my drive back from NH yesterday, I watched the powerful rain storm melt away most of the snow, especially here in the hudson valley. When I left Manchester there was still around two feet. But I was disappointed when I arrived in Millbrook and much of the snow we accumulated this winter was washed away. But then the storm became crazier over night turning into a windy sleet/rain/snow storm, knocking out power and covering everything in a thick sheet of ice!

Despite the inherent damage to property and trees such storms can cause, they are also magnificent! Ice-covered forests have a unique, breath-taking beauty. I didn't get a chance to take any photos until later in the afternoon during lunch break, but the trees outside the Cary Institute remained covered in ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment