Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Leopard Slug (Limax maximus)



Last night I discovered this huge leopard slug outside the door to my apartment. It was probably four or five inches, with sizable girth, really quite a beast. I'm not sure how it got there or where it was heading, it was not a particularly wet day out. So I am hypothesizing that it may have fallen from the trash bag when I removed it from behind the house to the curb, so I brought it back there, at least it will be away from foot traffic. I did a little research on them, and learned they are hermaphroditic, so when they mate both individuals can then lay eggs! Amazing little gastropod. It was difficult getting a decent photograph in the very low light, I decided to use the super macro function on my old Pro1, and this was the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment